Funding body information

Westminster City Council

Westminster City Hall
64 Victoria Street
020 7641 6000

Point of contact:

Voluntary Sector Department, 020 7641 3114,


The City Council funds services specifically for the voluntary and community sector in Westminster:

WAVE (Westminster Action for Voluntary Engagement) is the Council's support service to voluntary sector groups. WAVE can support with bidding for contracts, adapting to change, leadership, generating new revenue and much more.

Volunteer Centre Westminster brokers volunteering placements and builds the capacity of voluntary sector organisations to manage and recruit volunteers.

The Edward Harvist Trust

The Edward Harvist Trust gives capital grants of up to £3,000 (or £1,000 for IT equipment) to organisations that work to improve the quality of life for local people. Westminster City Council administers trust funds on behalf of the Edward Harvist Trust for the City of Westminster area. The Trust makes grants to further the following purposes:

  • The relief of elderly and disadvantaged residents
  • The relief of distress and sickness
  • The provision and support of facilities for recreation and leisure with the aim of improving the quality of life.
  • The provision and support of educational facilities
  • Any other charitable purpose

There are four application rounds each year, for which the deadlines are 15 April, 31 May, 15 July and 31 August.

For more information or to apply for a grant in the City of Westminster area, please call 020 7641 5921 or email

Further information on criteria and application can be found at the following link.

Neighbourhood Fundging

Arts and cultural organisations setting up projects that benefit Westminster communities may be eligible for neighbourhood funding, from your local ward councillors' budgets. Please note that you need to discuss your project with your ward councillors or with Janis Best by email at

Many local authorities are now moving away from grant-making and beginning to use commissioning as a way to distribute funding to the third sector. Local commissioners can be difficult to find and identify, however NAVCA have created a guide that may help: 'Finding your Commissioner'

Voluntary Sector Funding Pages:

Voluntary Sector Unit: includes details of funding programmes available, news, training and events, and VSU policies and useful documents.

Useful organisations:

Details of local and national bodies offering support to voluntary organisation in Westminster, including Westminster Voluntary Action: Voluntary Links:

Westminster City Council has a voluntary sector unit which is based in the Adult Services department and is currently run by two members of staff, a Grants and Voluntary Sector Officer and Voluntary Sector Administrator. It is the first point of contact for the voluntary sector in Westminster.

The voluntary sector unit web page contains details of the two grant schemes that Westminster City Council provides, along with contact details for the unit, links, policies, documents and frequently asked questions.

Full information is given online for the Edward Harvist Trust, however details of the annual grants programme can be sent out to applicants on request.

What is the DSC Funder Rating?

We need your help

Our ratings are by no means a final verdict, just a starting point to begin discussions about the voluntary sector’s experience of government funders. We are inviting all subscribers to share their experiences and contribute to the DSC Funder Rating. If you can help, please email us at